Nicole leads the UK’s contribution to the American Society of Civil Engineers Utility Standards and US Transportation Research Board’s Utility Committees and was the only academic on the BSI’s PAS128 and PAS256 Steering Committees. She is Deputy Director (Sensors) of UKCRIC NBIF and Head of the Power and Infrastructure research group within the School of Engineering. She is PI (Civil Engineering Stream) of Birmingham’s Quantum Technology (QT) Hub (EP/M013294), and CI of the ISCF’s Gravity Pioneer project to develop commercial quantum technology gravity sensors subsurface investigations. She was PI & CI of several EPSRC and Innovate UK funded research projects focussing on the location and condition assessment of buried assets. Nicole is a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers Municipal Expert and Geospatial Engineering panels and an editorial member of the ICE Municipal Engineer, and Smart Infrastructure and Construction proceedings.
- Makana, L., Metje, N., Jefferson, I., Rogers, C.D.F. (2018). Cost Estimation of Utility Strikes: Towards Proactive Management of Street Works. Infrastructure and Asset Management.
- Sadeghioon, A.M., Metje, N., Chapman, D.N., Anthony, C.J. (2018). Water pipeline failure detection using distributed relative pressure and temperature measurements and anomaly detection algorithms, Urban Water Journal, Vol. 15 (4), pp. 287-295. https://doi.org/10.1080/1573062X.2018.1424213
- Sadeghioon, A., Chapman, D., Metje N., Anthony, C. (2017). A new approach to estimating the path loss in underground wireless sensor networks. Journal of Sens. Actuator Netw. 6(3), 18. doi:3390/jsan6030018.
- Metje, N., Ahmed, B., Crossland, S.M. (2015). Causes, Impacts and Costs of Strikes on Buried Utility Assets. ICE Municipal Engineer, Vol. 168, Issue 3, pp. 165-174.
- Sadeghioon, A.M., Metje, N., Chapman, D.N., Anthony, C.J. (2014). SmartPipes: Smart Wireless Sensor Networks for Leak Detection in Water Pipelines. J. Sens. Actuator Netw., 3(1), 64-78; doi:10.3390/jsan3010064.